Sunday, March 8, 2009

Unalienable Rights...

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain Unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

The pursuit of Happiness...

Happiness, a word that means different things to so many. Exactly, what does it mean and is it protected under the Constitution...

I want to share my life with the one I love. Is this protected? Yes. Life - "person (me)," Liberty - "my freedom of control to make the choice to have that relationship," the pursuit of Happiness - "we make each other happy."

I'm going to play my music explosively loud this evening so as to disturb all of the residents on my block! Is this protected? No. Life - "person(s)," Liberty - "their freedom to peace and little disturbance," the pursuit of Happiness - "it would take away their happiness."

Bored with the way I look, what about something new like purple hair, pink polka dot face, bright yellow clothes and clown shoes. Is this protected? Yes. Life - "me," Liberty - "my choice to color my hair, my face, to wear loud color clothes and funny shoes." The pursuit of Happiness - "I would feel wonderful."

To wed the one I love. Is this protected? Yes*. Life - "me," Liberty - "my choice to share my world, life with." The pursuit of Happiness - "it would make my life a more fulfilling and joyous one (isn't this why many hetero's marry?).

Important Rule!
*1st Amendment - Secularity of Government and Freedom of Religious Exercise.


Due to the bully right wing zealots, rights and civil liberties have and continue to be denied and voted away as well as agencies being funded by everyone (including us queer folk) and some of those very queer folk tax supported agencies denying services to some. Does this confuse you? Does this anger you? What about the 1st Amendment?

Marriage being a CIVIL LIBERTY, WHERE DOES RELIGION FIND IT'S CONTROL OF IT? Can you be "recognized" as married by just a religious ceremony? NO! Before you can "enjoy" the rights/responsibilities of marriage, you must be *LEGALLY (civil) married for the states to recognize it (scroll back up to Important Rule!)

Will you stand up and demand to be heard????

Keep a smile on your face and love in your heart!

No comments: