Friday, April 3, 2009

"I Want To Recruit You!"

MILK

Harvey Milk

Being an infrequent movie goer, I have to say that for the first time in awhile, it was actually a pleasure (and not tiring as I have fallen asleep in theaters in the past) to see a movie, especially a documentary on the life of someone who really made an impact on our community.

A big thank you goes out to my friend Grace who invited me to see the movie.

If you are like me and don't really enjoy going to the movies, trust me on this one as I say:
"I want to recruit you to see it!"


Harvey Milk, an openly gay man and activist who grew tired of seeing how the gay community was treated and being a constant target of the police, had just had enough and decided that someone had to make a stand.

With no representation in government and that what little rights (and I do mean little) we had, Harvey Milk set out to run for political office. After a run of 3 unsuccessful bids, Milk would claim victory in 1977 to become one of San Fransisco's first openly gay Board Supervisors (district 5).

Serving 11 months, Milk would go on to pass a stringent gay rights ordinance for San Fransisco before tragically being gunned down on November 27th, 1978 along with Mayor George Moscone by a former Board Supervisor named Dan White (White whom had recently resigned but in a failed attempt at getting his job back after second thoughts decided that he would get even).

Go see the movie and become inspired to stand up for our rights because if you don't, the memories of a great individual like Milk will be just that, memories.

Keep a smile on your face and love in your heart!

No comments: